A Pre-Adoption Checklist
Written By Dr. Gary Holfinger
Puppies and kittens are so adorable that we often add a pet to the family without thinking of all the factors a new pet brings. Here’s a checklist to go over when you consider a new pet:
• Does anyone in the family have allergies?
• Are there children in the household?
• How much time do you have to exercise a new pet?
• Do you have easy access to pet exercise areas?
• How much of the day will the pet be alone?
• How much grooming and shedding can you live with?
• How much room do you have?
• How much can you financially manage with a new pet?
• Will a new pet affect any existing pet you may have?
These questions are not meant to discourage you from getting a new pet, but rather to help you determine what species (cat or dog) or breed would work best for your situation. Adopting a new pet is a lifelong decision; be sure to fit your situation as well as possible.